Saturday, April 24, 2010

Google Earth

Before I started this course I never really thought of the possible educational uses of Google Earth. As far as I was concerned it was a really cool tool to show people where I use to live and go to school and maybe to look up some famous sites. Now, however, I have come to understand just how useful it could be. Learners now days like to have real world information and situations to help with their understanding of concepts. This can often be given in the form of a "story" or a real world setting for a problem, but with Google Earth you can take it one step further.

Within my EPL I am participating in a Marine Aquatic Pratices class which, being a marine biology graduate, I absolutely adore. I've been given the task of presenting the different reef types to the students next week and I have already written up a power point for this lesson. However I was very aware that it was some what lacking. It wasn't until I started looking at Google Earth that I realise that I was missing a key tool that I should have been utilising!

I have now made up a "tour" that I plan to take my class on, showing them the 3 main reef types on the earth by LITERALLY showing them the earth! I am including another type too (the ribbon reef) as the pictures you can find on google earth are just amazing. By using this tool I will be able to show my students just how to differentiate the types of reefs by showing them the real world situations where you can find them!

I have take a couple of shots of my tour just to further explain, and because this idea has got me really excited!




All photos courtesy of Google Earth, April 2010

(Does anyone know how to correctly reference photos taken from google earth?)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe,
    What a fantastic idea…. it's almost as if Google Earth was custom made for your lesson! I'm sure your Marine Aquatic Practices class will appreciate seeing the different reef types on your tour - it's the next best thing to flying over the reefs in person :-) I enjoyed reading this posting, it really reinforces the idea that you can bring the real world into your classroom through technology and that ICTs can be used to enhance learning regardless of location... after all, your marine studies class doesn't need to be physically flying over the ocean or sailing the seas to appreciate the different reef types! Like you, I first thought of Google Earth as a means to look up my house or other landmarks, but am pleasantly surprised by the myriad of educational applications. Thanks for demonstrating such a practical and appropriate use of Google Earth.

    Warm regards,
    Karlee Kreis
    GDLT - Primary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karlee,

    Thank you for your positive comments! I'm glad that my idea seems reasonable and not a pointless use of the ICTs!

    Glad I'm not the only one who had preconceptions of Google Earth either!

    Regards,
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chloe,

    This is such a great post, and although my subject areas (English/ History)are a world away from science I am already thinking of ways to bring google earth into the classroom. Being able to show students landmarks, or even taking them on a tour of Venice whilst studying Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice is an exciting addition to my teaching ideas bag.

    Thanks for a great post!

    Regards,
    Abby Green

    GDLT (secondary)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chloe and Abby, I am so excited by this post and comments. My teaching areas are English and Music. I had never even thought of Google Earth as a suitable tool for either. I'm teaching a Rock Music unit to grade 8's. How cool will it be to actually take them to the iconic venues like Red Rocks Colerado and the Greek Theatre LA? thank you for your ideas and why didn't we all think of this sooner?
    Amanda OB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, I was really inspired when I started looking at Google Earth last night and you post Chloe, is fabulous. You have hit the nail right on the head. What an interesting leson you will have as you are right in saying that you are bringing the real world to your learners! I am excited like you all also as my areas are LOTE and SOSE and I cannot wait to find ways of incorporating Google Earth into my lessons.

    Well done everyone.
    Kylie B

    ReplyDelete